Ulcer on tonsil also known as throat ulcer, aphthous ulcer or canker sore is a small round oral sore that is either whitish, greyish or yellowish in the middle and reddish on the outside found in the throat or on the tonsils. This can be really painful and might cause a side throat on one side. You may also feel some tingling and burning in that area a day or two before the ulcer develops.
When the ulcer develops, you might feel a tingling sensation anytime you eat or drink something acidic. They can also make it difficult for you to eat and talk. This tonsil ulcer are no contagious but are very unpleasant. In this article, you will learn about the symptoms of ulcer on tonsil, what causes ulcer on tonsil and lot more.
Recommended products for the prevention and cure of Ulcer On Tonsil
Symptoms of Ulcer on Tonsil
The symptoms are so noticeable and it is important to see your Doctor if you experience the following;
- Trouble moving your jaw
- Trouble swallowing
- Pain in your mouth or throat
- White or red patches in your throat
- Mouth sores
- Lump in your neck
Causes Of Ulcer On Tonsil
Ulcer on tonsil can be caused by;
1. Nutrient deficiencies including; iron, folic acid or vitamin B-12 deficiency.
2. Sensitivity to acid or spicy food, drinks, snacks, fruits etc.
3. Mouth injuries such as biting your cheek or from dental work.
4. Stomach problems such as acid reflux.
5. Bacteria in the mouth
6. Mouth wash and toothpaste that contains sodium sulfate.
7. Emotional stress
9. Oral trauma
10. Inflammation of the skin
11. Hormonal fluctuations during menstruation.
12. Weak immune system
13. Gastric reflux
14. Infections with yeast or a virus
15. Orapharyngeal cancer, i.e cancer in the part of your throat that is right behind your mouth
Some Medical Conditions that may cause Ulcer on Tonsil
- Celiac disease
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- HIV and AIDs
- Betchet’s disease
How Long Does Ulcer On Tonsil Last
Ulcer on tonsil can range from mild to severe and might last for a few days or some weeks. Most of them heal on their own within a couple of weeks. However, the pains and discomfort can make your day so frustrating and miserable. You can actually get rid of ulcer on tonsil.
How to Get Rid of Ulcer On Tonsil
You will know 10 ways to get of an ulcer on your tonsil.
1. Mouth Wash
The tonsil can be so difficult to reach so a mouth wash is the essential option. Mouth wash helps to eliminate all bacteria and cleans your whole mouth.
2. Baking Soda
Baking soda is used to restore Phone balance and reduce inflammation. Using baking soda can help heal the ulcer on your tonsil.
3. Salt Water Rinse
Rinsing your mouth with salt when you have an ulcer on your tonsil could be painful but it is a good home remedy which helps dry out the ulcer.
All you need to do is mix a little quantity of salt in warm water, goggle the solution in your mouth then spit out.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar Mouth Wash
This is use as a cure for almost everything. The acid in apple cider vinegar helps kill bacteria. When use in the mouth, it helps kill bacteria that irritates the ulcer on your tonsil.
Remember that acid substances can cause or worse the ulcer on your tonsil so, it is adviced to be taken with caution.
Honey has some crib inflammatory and antibacterial abilities. It will help to reduce the pain, size and redness of the ulcer and also prevents secondary infections.
All you need to do is apply original honey to affected area daily.
Study has shown that live probiotic culture such as lactobacillus may help eradicate H. Pylori and treat some types of inflammatory bowl diseases.
Drinking yoghurt which contains probiotic cultures may help in treating the ulcer in your tonsil.
7. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has antimicrobial abilities. It is also a natural anti-inflammatory. It helps to cure ulcer on tonsil by preventing the spread of bacteria and reducing redness and pain.
8. Alum Powder
Alum powder is often used to preserve food and vegetables. It is made from potassium aluminum sulfate and it has astringent properties that helps to shrink tissues and drug out the ulcer on your tonsil.
9. Milk of Magnesia
This is an acid neutralizer and a laxative. When use, it may change the pH in your mouth so that the ulcer sore would not increase.
It also covers the sore to prevent irritating or infections and relief the pains.
10. Vitamin B Complex Supplement
This contains all 8 B vitamins including B-12. It helps prevent ulcer on tonsil from occurring but it is not really known to cure the ulcer.
So, it is important to consult your Doctor before use.
Other ways to avoid Ulcer on Tonsil includes;
- Eat more food rich in vitamin B, folic acid and iron.
- Avoid eating acidic food and fruits like pineapples, oranges etc.
- Avoiding worsening by not eating crunchy food like nuts
- Use toothbrushes with soft bristles.
Ulcer On Tonsil Can Be Prevented Through The Following
- Eat healthy
- Do not smoke
- Reduce your risk of infection by getting vaccinated.
- Change medications if necessary
When To Visit Your Doctor
An ulcer on tonsil should disappear fully between 7 to 10 days of appearance.
However, it is good and necessary to see your Doctor or dentist if you experience the following regarding to ulcer on tonsil;
1. The ulcer keeps increasing in size
2. Last longer than expected
3. The sore is making it difficult for you to eat and drink
4. You get high fever from it
5. It extends to your lips
6. If the sore causes extreme pains
7. You should also contact your Doctor or dentist if a dental hygiene tool is the reason for the ulcer sore.
Ulcer on tonsil are so unpleasant but they do not last forever. If you already have an ulcer on your tonsil, it is important to follow the remedies to get rid of it or visit your dentist.
Your Dentist might prescribe some antibiotics or antifungals to treat bacteria. A pair reliever might also be prescribed.
It is important to take your Doctor prescription seriously.