Negro pepper also known as uda seed in Igbo, eeru Alamo in Yoruba and chimba in Hausa, and ata in Ibibio, with the botanical name (Xylopia aethiopica) and it belongs to the annonacin family. Negro pepper is a spice found in the savannah vegetation zone of Africa and South America.
It has a smoky aroma and the shape is about 5mm length. This seed is usually the main ingredients for making black pepper sauce. It can be used alone or mixed with garlic or ginger for making herbal tea. It can be used also as a preservative. Uda seed possesses nutritional and medicinal properties that contains phytochemical compounds like;
- Deter penic
- Folic acid
- Vitamins: A, B1, B2, C and E.
Health Benefits of Uda Seed
1. It contains Anti-oxidants that Fights Infections: Inflammation is a way the body respond to injuries, infections, bruises, wounds, and any damage on the body tissue. Uda seed contains abundance of high anti-inflammatory properties and anti-oxidant agents that helps the body to fight any free radicals.
2. It Treats Malaria: Uda seed is fully packed with antimalarial properties and can be used for preparing local remedy for reducing the risk and effect of malaria in humans.
3. It Treats Skin Problems: Struggle with skin problems? Uda seed has been proven to be a great remedy for treating skin conditions like boils, itches, skin eruptions just to mention a few.
4. It Treats Menstrual Problems: It can be taken to treat menstrual issues like amenorrhea or PMS syndrome. In traditional medicine, uda seed pods is taken to increase blood flow during menstruation.
5. It relieves Gastrointestinal Problems: Disorders associated with gastrointestinal tract, (oesophagus, stomach, rectum, small and large intestine). This includes stomach ache, irritable bowel syndrome, dysentery, gastric ulcers, indigestion, flatulence, and many others. Uda leaves of is found to be aseptic in nature, meaning that it is capable of relieving the aforementioned internal disorders.
6. It Treats Rheumatism: The bark of uda tree has anti-arthritic, antipyretic and anti-inflammatory properties that is used to treat myriad of rheumatic disorders, including arthritic pain.
7. It Relieves the Respiratory System: It has been proven that the bark of uda tree contains some potent properties, which can treat respiratory system diseases, like; the common cold, bacterial pneumonia, asthma and bronchitis.
How to Use Uda Seed
- Get a some quantity of the uda seed
- Wash and drain the water.
- Allow to dry.
- Put the seeds into a pot and pour about 60cl of water.
- Heat till it boils
- Boil for 5 minutes and allow it to cool.
- Drain out the liquid.
- Pour in a container.